top of page
  • Jess Haag


Monday, October 30th.  The 6 week mark since I started treatments--2 treatments in.  Also, the day my CT scan was taken to check progress of the treatments--see if they are, in fact, doing anything to kick this cancer.  Of course I had to wait until Wednesday, Nov 1st to talk to the doctor about the results but that's okay.  What's a couple more days to hear the news, right?

That day didn't end there though.  Long story short, I landed myself in the ER that night with pains that would radiate from my left side in the back, to the side, to the front.  Every pain is taken pretty seriously apparently when you're on chemo--which I'm not complaining about at all.  I'd obviously much rather be safe than sorry.  That trip ended well though--nothing serious, thank you God.  They worry about blood clots in the was only pleurisy (inflammation of the lining of the lungs.  Painful at times but tolerable), most likely a side effect from the chemo.  It takes care of itself within 4-5 days usually so I'm all good at this point. 

I must say...this week has been pretty emotional.  With it being a scan week and also the week of a chemo treatment, that plays a huge role in the emotional part.  Is it working?  What if it isn't...what if it does and then I get my hopes up and it stops working?  What if...what if...what if.  Those two words together really mess with a person.  It's in those moments I take a deep breath, look up, and pray. (1 Peter 5:7) "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."  Just. Breathe. (Jeremiah 29:11)"For I know the plans I have for you.  Plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Just. Breathe.  (Philippians 4:13) "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."  Just. Breathe.

Tuesday, October 31st.  Halloween--a much welcomed, fun filled day and night with my family.  We have a tradition of stopping to visit my hubby's side of the family so everyone can see us in our costumes--and the kids LOVE it.  So much fun running around, playing, getting spoiled rotten.  Then we venture off to my parents' house where we meet up with my brothers and sisters so all of the cousins can be together to go trick or treating!  So. Much. Fun.  I think we adults have just as much fun--if not more--as the kids do!  I love Halloween--I love pretty much all holidays.

Wednesday, November 1st.  My 3rd chemo treatment.  The day the results of my scan are revealed to me.  I didn't get to talk to my doctor--I pushed my treatment back a day so I didn't miss Halloween, and he wasn't in.  But, nonetheless, the results were still given.  And?  We were happy with the results.  The scan showed that the largest lesion on my liver decreased in size (didn't hear about the other spots so we'll see next time we chat or the next scan) and the thickening of the colon decreased.  There wasn't much mention of the spots on my lungs, but they weren't too concerned about those from the get go.  So all in all, positive news. 

The 3-4 days following chemo still involve going in for fluids daily--just my new normal so no biggie!  I'm feeling pretty good for the most part so I can't complain at all.  Thursday brought about a new day, and that involved going to see my surgeon to check on my port. body doesn't like it--so it tried pushing it out.  The human body amazes me--it truly does.  My body identified that something foreign is inside, and is trying to get it out.  And it succeeded--the Dr. took it out right at the office visit and a new one will be placed on the 15th--about a week before my next chemo treatment.  Crazy, right?  But could be worse.  I can't complain.

So that's my week in a nutshell!  I'm still living, still breathing--still working my business and seriously loving the excitement and fun that that brings.

I am still loving life.

34 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page